Daugavins Returns and Re-Ups

Kaspars Daugavins at the Calder Cup Championship parade in fine form
In a bit of very weird news, Kaspars Daugavins has signed a 1 year, 2 way deal to return to the Ottawa Senators after appearing to have signed with a KHL team just a week or so ago. It appears that what he actually signed with the Latvian club was a tryout contract, which allowed him to come back to the NHL/AHL if he chose, which he no doubt used to put the pressure on BM the GM to sign him to a new deal.




What stood out to me about the contract was that it's a 2 way deal and not 1 way. You'd figure after going to this much trouble to sign him that Daugavins would only want to be in the NHL and that the Sens would show good faith and let him play in the show. Especially after handing out one way deals to Condra, Greening, Zack Smith and Bobby Butler. The word on the street right now is that there may be a clause that he gets a certain amount of games in the NHL to get a chance to prove himself in return for his John Hancock but only a rumor at this point.

On a personal note, I know I had said he was gone to play closer to home in my previous Daugavins post, but it now appears that was half true and half a leverage tactic. At the time the information was correct, but this is a very unusual move that has transpired and I could not have seen it coming. I was shocked when I saw he had re-signed with the Sens. It was a crazy move that has seemingly worked out well for the Latvian, who appears wants to give the NHL one more shot.

Thoughts on him re-upping?

.