Will Bruins Make A Trade?


The NHL trade deadline is Monday, February 27, 2012, and the Bruins have been talking like they are going to make some kind of move. Last year they brought in Kaberle (bust), Peverley, and Kelly. Those Peverley and Kelly were steals and played huge parts in their Cup run. This year the Bruins could be looking to do the same.

There are two rumors going around today. The first one is started because Rick Nash reportedly listed the teams he'd be willing to do to (he has a no trade clause). The list includes the Boston Bruins, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks and Toronto Maple Leafs. The cost will be high for a guy like this. Blue Jackets are rumored to want "at least one young roster player along with a combination of top prospects and quality draft picks". Nash is only 27 years old, so maybe it would be worth it, but I don't see the Bruins doing it. He is really good, but I don't think the Bruins need to go out and change there team/future this dramatically.

Another name that has come up is 41-year-old Ducks forward Teemu Selanne. When I read this I have to admit I was pumped. I love the older guys I knew as a kid. The thing with Selanne is he is still damn good. He has totaled 18 goals and 33 assists for 51 points this season, which is 4 more points then the Bruins leader (Bergeron). I also think the cost could be lower. He is the face of the Ducks franchise, but he is nearing the end and might be interested in making one more run (like Rechhi). He also has a no-trade clause, so they would have to sell him on the idea. There is no word on what the Ducks might want, but my hope is that they continue to slide in the standing (currently 8 points out of playoff spot) and then will be "forced" to make some kind of move for the future.

If you go by the stats the Bruins actually could be more interested in bringing in another defenseman, because they are actually 1st in the East in goals per game, yet 14th in goals against. Yet, I really like the Bruins defense and if they could make a move to bring in a guy like Selanne to replace a guy like Benoit Pouliot, who I have had just about enough of even though he had a goal last night, I think it could be a huge upgrade. As always it's all about cost, but if they could give up a prospect (Caron, and maybe some kind of pick) I would be very interested.